[FWTools] unable to find driver "Postgresql"

John Mugwe John.Mugwe at unep.org
Thu Oct 26 02:35:52 EDT 2006

Thanks Frank,

Are there some instructions somewhere  on how to build GDAL/OGR from source
with postgres/postgis support?
Meanwhile  I will submit an enhancement request against FWTools on
bugzilla.

Best regards

John mugwe

             Frank Warmerdam
             <warmerdam at pobox.
                                       John Mugwe <John.Mugwe at unep.org>
             25/10/2006 05:56                                           cc
             PM                        fwtools at lists.maptools.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [FWTools] unable to find
                                       driver "Postgresql"

John Mugwe wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have a windows and a linux environment with postgis and postgresql
> installed. i have installed FWTools1.0.5 in both environments.
>
> On windows box I am able to  convert  some shape files that I have  into
> postgis( Postgresql) using the following  command
>
> ogr2ogr -nlt MULTIPOLYGON -f PostgreSQL PG: "host=localhost user=xxxx
> password=xxxx dbname =whatever" <directory to the shape file>
>
> All work fine.
>
> however in the linux box I get the  message the following message
>
> Unable to find driver `PostgreSQL'.
> The following drivers are available:
>   -> `ESRI Shapefile'
>   -> `UK .NTF'
>   -> `SDTS'
>   -> `TIGER'
>   -> `IHO S-57 (ENC)'
>   -> `MapInfo File'
>   -> `DGN'
>   -> `GML'
>   -> `AVCBin'
>   -> `REC'
>   -> `Memory'
>
> Who can advice what to do?

John,

To my embarassment, I see FWTools for linux is not, and presumably has
not ever been distributed with postgres/postgis support.  If you submit
an enhancement request against FWTools in bugzilla, I'll try and add it
for some future release.

In the meantime, you could build GDAL/OGR from source with postgres/postgis
support.

warmerdam at pobox.com