[FWTools] Using GDAL in Python IDE

Norman Barker nbarker at ittvis.com
Wed Sep 13 16:06:22 EDT 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: fwtools-bounces at lists.maptools.org
[mailto:fwtools-bounces at lists.maptools.org] On Behalf Of Nagendra Singh
Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 1:51 PM
To: fwtools at lists.maptools.org
Subject: [FWTools] Using GDAL in Python IDE

Hi,

I am just starting to learn Python and I want to perform some GIS
tasks which requires the gdal module (http://www.gdal.org/). I have
installed FWTools. I am trying to use the gdal module but I keep
getting an error message that
gdal module is not found,even after appending the module using the
sys.path.append command. Can you anyone please let me know how do I
use the gdal module in the python I have (I dowlloaded it from
activestate) .

thanks in advance
Nagendra

Nagendra,

To use FWTools the way you describe you will have to copy the FWTools
environment variables from setfwenv.bat (FWTOOLS_HOME\bin) to your
system variables (with the exception of adding fwtools python to your
path), since you are using a different distribution of Python. (I use
FWTools 1.0.5 which uses has python 2.3.5)

It is also possible to set the environment variables in a script (such
as setfwenv.bat without the python path variable) and set the
environment variable PYTHONSTARTUP to point to this file.

Alternatively start the FWTools shell, type python and you are away :-)

Norman