[FWTools] Using GDAL in Python IDE

Mark Amend Mark.Amend at noaa.gov
Thu Sep 28 14:38:02 EDT 2006

Norman-

I too want to be able to do this (using Python 2.4.3 (PythonWin IDE) with several non-FW modules seperately from FWTools1.0.6).  I'd like to be able to use the gdal module in a Python script that also taps into ESRI's geoprocessor.

I tried following your guidance by adding the system variables GDAL_DATA, GDAL_DRIVER, and GEOTIFF_CSV using the Environment Variable form in WinXP but no luck in response to "import gdal".

I then tried adding C:\Program Files\FWTools1.0.6\pymod to the Python Path in PythonWin.  Browsing the path shows gdal as a module but typing 'import gdal' still gives that "No module named gdal" error Nagendra mentions.

Actually, launching FWTools command line prompt, typing 'python' and then "import gdal" has the same problem.  So.. I am at a loss.  Any more tips?

Thanks,
Mark Amend