[FWTools] get gdal_translate black image

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Apr 18 10:17:49 EDT 2007

On 4/18/07, GISGuru <jeremiahosullivan at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Hi, I am trying to translate some ecws to tiffs using gdal_translate. The
> simple command
> C:\Program Files\FWTools1.2.2\bin>gdal_translate test.ecw
> test.tif works ok When I try to the file size down by issue the folloing
> command
> C:\Program Files\FWTools1.2.2\bin>gdal_translate -co
> "COMPRESS=JPEG" -co "TILED=YES" test.ecw test.tif
>  I get a black image back
>  Any idea of what is happing here is my gdalinfo for the ecw

GISGuru,

It isn't clear to me why this isn't working.  I'd like to suggest
you try clipping a small tiff out of the ecw, and then try to
compress in a new step to tiled/jpeg compressed form.

eg.
gdal_translate -outside 250 250 in.ecw simple.tif
gdal_translate -co COMPRESSED=YES -co TILED=YES simple.tif jpeg.tif

I would guess that the problem you are seeing is not related to
the source being an ECW file, and may relate to problems with
jpeg-in-tiff support in the FWTools build.  If you can verify that,
then you could file a bug report against FWTools with the small
input tiff file.