[FWTools] Converting large file to JP2

Wim Chalmet wim.chalmet at terraEngine.com
Wed Apr 25 11:47:00 EDT 2007

Hi,

I have a large file (140GB), single band 8 bit in PCIDSK format that I would like to translate into a geo-JP2. This is the command that I use:

gdal_translate -of "JP2KAK" -a_srs "+proj=tmerc +datum=NAD83 +x_0=500000 +lon_0=-105 +lat_0=0 +k=0.9996" -co QUALITY=100  -co BLOCKXSIZE=200000000 F:\largeFile.pix G:\largeFile.jp2

I had to play around with the BLOCKXSIZE, because gdal_translate would throw the following error early in the conversion process:

Input file size is 258800, 506640
0...10...20...30...40...50ERROR 1: Kakadu Core Error:
Too many tile-parts for tile 0.  No tile may have more than 255 parts.

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

As I increased the BLOCKXSIZE, the process would go further, but now, regardless of the BLOCKXSIZE, I get the above mentioned error about 50% into the conversion.

My harddisks (F and G) have lots of free space, about 300GB free on each, so I don't think that is a problem. My machine is a dual core dell GX620 with 4GB of RAM, and keeping an eye on task manager, I see lots of free RAM the whole time.

Any idea how I avoid the "too many tile-parts" issue?

Yours truly,

Wim Chalmet
Iunctus Geomatics Corp.
Director of Operations