[FWTools] install mapserver from FWtools for linux

Peter Shrock thesl at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 8 13:48:26 EDT 2007

Hello, all:

I have been looking around in order to figure out if this is possible.

I have purchased a hosting plan which is a linux platform.

All I can do is to upload files to certain folders. There is no services of any
installation, batch file running, change of Apache config, or envirnmental
variables (path) setting.

In windwos, I can just upload mapserv.exe and all libraries to cgi-bin, and set
Proj path. Then mapserver will work.

I never used Linux, so could anyone please tell me if this is possible:
   1: get all the files from FWTools for Linux, and put in the cgi-bin so that
mapserver will work properly? I only need mapserver and its dependencies.
  2: I need to work with PostgIS and Proj.

Do I need to change Apache config?

Your help is greatly appreciated. I know others have been facing the same
problem. An answer will help many people.

Have a nice day

Peter