[FWTools] Performance problems converting big GML file to ESRI Shape

Möckel, Alexander Alexander.Moeckel at ibykus.de
Tue Aug 14 07:25:06 EDT 2007

Hi,
I have some performance problems using ogr2ogr to convert 500MB GML files to ESRI Shapefile using 1.3x versiones. I use this command:
  ogr2ogr -skipfailures -f "ESRI Shapefile" D:\Temp\DGKLW.shp D:\Temp\DGKLW.gml

Ogr2ogr starts reading the GML file with about 4 MB/sec and then decreases more and more. RAM consumtion starts at 30 MB and now (after 5 minutes) is already at 85 MB - still growing.

The last working version I've found on my drives is 0.9.6. It takes around 7MB RAM and reads the file with 10-15 MB/sec. Already after 4 minutes it starts to write a Shape File (while 1.3.5 needs much more time). After 7 minutes the conversion has finised with a 190 MB Shape File.

Do you have any idea, what to do? Do I use the wrong parameters for the new version?

Tanks in advance
Alex