[FWTools] Converting a black border to transparent in geotifs

Simon Hook simon.j.hook at jpl.nasa.gov
Sun Feb 11 16:08:40 EST 2007

Hi Frank,

I want to generate kml files from the final images (I got the google
regionator code working BTW). In the past we have generated a kml "by
hand" this involved opening a png in photoshop, changing the border
(zero values) to transparent, saving the png. Then placing the png with
google earth at the location on the earth and setting the 4 corners of
the png. If the transparency step was done in photoshop the black border
does not show, if it has not been done you see the black border. Now I
only know how to use the regionator code with geotifs (not pngs). So I
think if I can ad an alpha channel that will work.

I will try that and see what happens

Best wishes,

S.