[FWTools] Re: raster_format

Mark Amend Mark.Amend at noaa.gov
Wed Mar 14 13:05:23 EST 2007

Travis-

Not sure if GDAL has the means to grid this type of data into raster
form.  It looks like an irregularly spaced data set to me.

I'd recommend you make an attempt at installing GMT (via cygwin, macosx,
or linux) and use that for processing this type of file.  If you aren't
familiar with installing software on *nix it might be a pain, but it's
worth having GMT in your kit alongside fwtools.  Several of GMT's
programs work specifically for this style of ASCII data, and there's a
mature user community to boot.  While GMT's native grid format is
netCDF, there are ways to get it into an ESRI grid.

http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/gmt/

Good luck,
Mark