[FWTools] OpenEV/FWTools Add-ons

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Wed Mar 28 17:08:41 EST 2007

Hi Nate, welcome to the world of gdal :)

I can't speak to the developer side of integrating C++ and friends with
openev but I'm sure you'll find a receptive and helpful audience here
and on gdal-dev (http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/).
Gdal-dev will be best for code collaboration and here or openev for end
user type discussion. Most of the talk on fwtools revolves around how to
use the utilities.

The easiest way to get your hands on GRASS in a Windows environment is
via QGIS (http://www.qgis.org/). It's pretty much click and go. For
people who have experience with ESRI and Mapinfo it can take some
practice to get used to the grass data models though. While not *quite*
ready for python based plugin development, the C++ side is up and going.
Qgis is more focussed on developing vector than raster tools, so far.

Since your work is primarily remote sensing some time spent with OSSIM
http://www.ossim.org/ might be fruitful. Ossim doesn't have as an
extensive community as does gdal/openev/fwtools but they've been around
for awhile and don't seem to be going away. There are some pretty
sophisticated tools in there.

SAGA GIS (http://www.saga-gis.uni-goettingen.de/html/index.php) has the
most well rounded raster handling of the open source projects I'm
familiar with. Though it doesn't get into things like pan-sharpen fusion
and correcting for satellite sensor limitations like ossim does (the
last time I looked anyway).

Not being a developer I can't say for sure, but I think all of these
projects have avenues for you to plugin in your own algorithms. So, it's
a feast of plenty. Enjoy :)

cheers,

--
matt wilkie