[FWTools] FWTools 2.0.0 Released

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Nov 16 11:16:13 EST 2007

Bryan Keith wrote:
> Is this page
>
> http://fwtools.maptools.org/
>
> no longer being maintained?  That's the first page on Google when
> searching for "fwtools".
>
> I went there yesterday to download the latest version and immediately
> noticed it wasn't the latest version since I remembered the switch to v.
> 2.0.0.  So I dug up this e-mail.

Bryan,

The first thing you need to realize is that FWTools is a very "seat of
the pants" operation.  Basically, when a client or bug reporter needs
some specific little feature (last time fastcgi on linux for mapserver) I
will generally offer it by banging out a new FWTools build.

The level of testing, documentation of changes, and announcement done is
very minimal.  (caveat emptor!)

So, for instance, it is not uncommon for me to upload a new release and
neglect to announce it to the list since I intend to come back to that
after someone reports it works.  Or, like in this case I announce it on
the list, but neglect to update the web page.

So, the web page is intermittently maintained (and with this reminder I
have updated it to 2.0.0).

I should mention an effort for a much better maintained win32 software
distribution by OSGeo.  It will attempt to cover more packages, be focused
on recent stable versions (instead of cutting edge "from trunk" like FWTools)
and be package oriented instead of all-in-one.

   http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/OSGeo_Win32_Installer

At this stage I would encourage those interested in *building* packages for
this installer (to be called OSGeo2W) to join the list.  Any organizations
who see a need for this and would be willing to provide sponsorship funding
to support the effort are encouraged to contact me by email.

I anticipate FWTools continuing to exist, primarily focused on my need to
deliver bug fixes, and new features for testing to folks "from trunk"
but I think quite a few existing windows users of FWTools would eventually
be better served by OSGeo4W (greater stability, breadth and cohesion).