[FWTools] GDAL and WFS Simple Features

Roy Mendelssohn Roy.Mendelssohn at noaa.gov
Fri Sep 28 18:16:12 EDT 2007

I am somewhat out of my area of knowledge here, but I thought someone
on the list might be able to help.  Someone we are working with will
be setting up a WFS service using I believe ArcIMS  (it is one of the
ESRI server products).  I assume that this sends a WFS restricted to
Simple Features Profile of some sort.  My question is are there tools
in Gdal/OGR that should be able to translate these files to other
formats, or are there other open source libraries that are likely to
be able to do that  (I.e we want to use the results in our own pages
not using tools like Mapserver of the like)?  If the library would
require some development, as opposed to the utilities in Gdal say, we
would prefer Java libraries. Can Openlayers provide the translation,
even if we do not use it for the mapping?

Thanks for any help and  suggestions.

-Roy M.

**********************
"The contents of this message do not reflect any position of the U.S.
Government or NOAA."
**********************
Roy Mendelssohn
Supervisory Operations Research Analyst