[FWTools] convert postgis data to kml

Shad Keene shadkeene at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 3 09:56:00 EDT 2008

The ogr2ogr tool worked great, and it even placed one of the text columns in an infowindow.  It seemed very quick compared to the client-side parsing/displaying that I was doing in javascript.

However, I need to have more customization in the way the text is displayed, using tabbed windows for spatial relationships,etc and colors for polygons based on column values.  So, what do you recommend for that?  I'm assuming I'll just have to create the total customized kml via perl, the language I'm most familiar with.  Or does ogr2ogr allow some customization?  Thanks for your help!
Shad

Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 01:22:30 +0200From: sfkeller at gmail.comTo: shadkeene at hotmail.comSubject: Re: [FWTools] convert postgis data to kmlCC: fwtools at lists.maptools.org
You can either use pgsql2shp from directory pgsql/bin, and then use OGR (from GDAL/OGR/FWTools) to convert to KMLor you try it in one step like this using FWTools:% ogr2ogr -f "KML" neighborhoods.kml PG:"host=myhost user=myloginname dbname=mydbname password=mypassword" -sql "select gid, name, the_geom from neighborhoods"See http://www.bostongis.com/PrinterFriendly.aspx?content_name=ogr_cheatsheet
-- Stefan
2008/4/2, Shad Keene <shadkeene at hotmail.com>:

Hi,My goal is to display various shapes(polygons, points, linestring) on google maps by using data entered into a postgis database.  I was looking for a way to do this that used the spatial structure already provided in postgis(already designating if shape is a linestring or polygon, etc) instead of parsing out the coordinates and then re-entering spatial structure in google maps.  I saw that google maps api is now compatible with kml data formats.  And then I read that FWTools can convert postgis data to kml format.  I've done some reading in the forums about the actual process of converting postgis data to kml via FWTools, but didn't see anything that would help me.  I'm new to kml but am familiar with postgis and perl language.  Is there a tutorial for the process of converting postgis data to kml?  Where can I get started?  Thanks for any help,Shad