[FWTools] Batch translating from .ecw to geotiff in Australian Map Grid

tonyf tony at physsi.com.au
Mon Dec 15 12:22:07 UTC 2008

I figured the best thing is to do the simple convert below then edit the ers
file (or the Mapinfo Tab file) using notepad or whatever to replace the
reference to the .ecw file with the ref to the tif resulting below.

It's not really a geotiff I think but it gets me out of trouble.

Actually I used a visual basic script to do a batch replace in the tab
files.  Find the script here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/resources/qanda/feb05/hey0208.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/resources/qanda/feb05/hey0208.mspx

Used a for loop in the FWTools Shell: for %a in (*.tab) do cscript
replace.vbs %a ".ecw" ".tif"

Similarly for the conversion: for %a in (*.ecw) do gdal_translate %a
%~na.tif

I owe something to  http://www.allenware.com/icsw/icswref.htm#FunctionGroup
http://www.allenware.com/icsw/icswref.htm#FunctionGroup  for help on for
statements and the %~na bit particularly.

So I'm out of trouble, but is there a way to convert ecw+tab or tif+tab or
ecw+ers to geotiff?

- Tony.