[FWTools] gdal_polygonize

John Zastrow jcz at northredoubt.com
Thu Apr 9 06:43:01 EST 2009

Roger André wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> I wrote a very un-optimized tool to do this a little while ago.  It's
> a Python script that you can probably run in FWTools.  Just be sure
> that you put it in your FWTools/bin directory, and then that you
> create an appropriate environment setting script with the same name in
> FWTools/bin_safe.  Just do a search for gdal_merge.py and you'll see
> what I mean.
>
> You'll need to do some editing of the script to specify the pixel
> values you want to vectorize, but that should be pretty straight-forward.
>
> Good luck, and let me know if you need any help getting it to run.
>
> Roger
> --

Hi Roger,

Thank you very much. Your script did produce a shape output. Do you know
if there is a method to do the "dissolve" on the polygons either inline
with the vectorizing or as secondary step? Googling turns up people
searching for such a tool in the GDAL/OGR world but, I did not see any
final conclusions.

Thank you,
John