[FWTools] Problems with GML to Shapefile

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Jan 12 10:32:56 EST 2009

Paul Wittle wrote:
> Thanks for getting back to me.
>
> Most of the errors are Error 1, can not create a dataset or can not open
> a dataset. It is not running from within the shell I don't think so I
> had to set the GDAL_DATA environment variable. Can I pass the command to
> the FWTools shell with a batch file because at the moment I'm using
> cmd.exe.
>> C:\FWTools2.2.8\bin\ogr2ogr.exe -f "ESRI Shapefile"
>> "C:\Import\shape\1_CS.shp" "C:\Import\gml\1.gml" CS -a_srs EPSG:4277
>> -update

Paul,

I'm a bit vague on how to launch the FWTools shell with a batch file, but
you can call the same init stuff that FWTools shell does in a batch
file and your environment should be fine.

I just noticed that you are attempting to write to shapefiles in
update mode.  I wonder if you might be running into:

   http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/2771

Error 1 is not very specific.  Are any messages issued with the error?