[FWTools] need assistance with gdal_retile.py - FWTwools 2.4.2 Windows

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Jul 30 09:22:57 EST 2009

Mark Volz wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I would like to create a tilecache for my air photos to be used in my
> mapserver application.  It is my understanding that you can use
> gdal_retile.py to do this.  I installed the full installation of FWTools
> 2.4.2 for windows.  When I ran tilecache I had the following errors:
>

> File "C:\PROGRA~1\FWTOOL~1.2\bin\gdal_retile.py", line 36, in <module>
>
>     import gdal
>
> File "C:\PROGRA~1\FWTOOL~1.2\pymod\gdal.py", line 191, in <module>
>
>     import _gdal
>
> ImportError: No module named _gdal

Mark,

FWTools installs it's components in a local FWTools environment.  It
does not update the system Python with the GDAL packages. The following
page includes info on installing windows binaries that I think may
do what you need.

   http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/GdalOgrInPython

> Could anyone assist me in getting a tilecache set up?   I also was
> confused as the help page http://gdal.org/gdal_retile.html did not
> address the source raster file.

The source raster file is the argument listed as "input_files".  What
else did you need to know?