[FWTools] Question about GFS files

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Oct 28 13:39:58 EST 2009

Tim Manners wrote:
> For example:
> The following section of GML defines how a piece of text is rendered in
> terms of the anchorPosition, font, height and orientation...
>
> <osgb:textRendering>
> <osgb:anchorPosition>3</osgb:anchorPosition>
> <osgb:font>1</osgb:font>
> <osgb:height>3.000</osgb:height>
> <osgb:orientation>0</osgb:orientation>
> </osgb:textRendering>
>
> Is it possible to handle a nested element in the <ElementPath> tag of
> the GFS file? If so - how is it done?

Tim,

I think you would specify the path to the element (relative to the
feature) in the ElementPath element in the GFS file.

     <PropertyDefn>
       <Name>font</Name>
       <ElementPath>osgb:textRendering.osgb:font</ElementPath>
       <Type>String</Type>
     </PropertyDefn>

It is possible that the parser has already stripped off namespaces
at the point these are processed in which case you would need to
do it without the osgb: prefixes.

> Additionally, is it possible to bring mathematical functions into the
> GFS file? The reason that I ask is because the orientation element is
> stored in tenths of a degree - meaning it needs to be divided by 10 to
> get the true orientation angle (and it would be good to perform this
> function on the data load - as opposed to subsequently in PostgreSQL).

No, this is not supported in a .gfs file.  At this point I would normally
consider writing a load script to perform feature transformations during