[FWTools] gdalwarp issue?

David Fawcett david.fawcett at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 12:22:37 EST 2010

Jeff,

I did a similar thing several years ago using the ogr/osr python
modules and an exif module to read gps info out of the exif headers,
calculate approximate image scale and rotation, and then write out
world files for the images.  The georeferencing is rough and
approximate, but surprisingly good.  The code also creates shapefiles
containing image footprint polys and image 'center' (airplane
location) points.

It can reference several hundred images in a few minutes.  This is
partly because it is doing nothing to the actual images, just creating
world files.

My use case is a little bit different than yours, as I assume that the
sensor plane is parallel to the ground.  I am happy to show you the
code if you are interested.  I wrote it several years ago, so it is
pretty ugly and pretty specific to my use case.

David.