[FWTools] .tab with multy type objects conversion using ogr2ogr crashed

Andrey Khmelevskiy kmelevskiy at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 11:28:52 EST 2010

Hi,

1) I need to convert .tab file into .shp format.

I've got error by using following command:
C:\Program Files\FWTools2.4.7>ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile" test.shp SHP.shp

The error:
ERROR 1: Attempt to write non-linestring (POINT) geometry to ARC type
shapefile.
ERROR 1: Terminating translation prematurely after failed
translation of layer tab (use -skipfailures to skip errors)
C:\Program Files\FWTools2.4.7>ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile" test.shp tab.TAB
ERROR 1: test.shp is not a directory.
ESRI Shapefile driver failed to create test.shp

It am sure it is general practice that .tab files contain multityped data in
it (points, lines, polygonds).
I wonder how to handle tab->shp conversion by using ogr2ogr function?

Another relative issue I have:
2)During the same conversion tab->shp I've got next message wich means that
the field name 'Flood_Risk_Comment'  will be reduce to 'Flood_Ri_1' in
resulting shp attribute table:
C:\Program Files\FWTools2.4.7>ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile" test_pnt.shp
tab_pnt.TAB
Warning 6: Normalized/laundered field name: 'Flood_Risk_Comment' to
'Flood_Ri_1'
Any idea how to handle filed name reduction issue?

Thank you in advance.

Andrey Khmelevskiy