[FWTools] Using a non-standard projection in ogr2ogr

Richard Greenwood richard.greenwood at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 08:01:59 EST 2010

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 2:54 AM, Simon O'Keefe
<simon.okeefe at groundtruth.com.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having difficulty in finding an example to follow to process a
> dataset I've come across which has a custom projection.
>
> I would like to convert a text file into a shape file. The text file
> has two columns called AMG_X and AMG_Y. I know that the coordinates
> supplied in these fields are not a standard projection (so I don't
> have an EPSG number), but have the followng parameters:
>
>    PARAMETER["latitude_of_origin",0],
>    PARAMETER["central_meridian",145],
>    PARAMETER["scale_factor",0.9996],
>    PARAMETER["false_easting",500000],
>    PARAMETER["false_northing",10000000],
>
> Can someone please point me to an example that will allow me to
> specify individual parameters in an ogr2ogr command.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Simon

You are missing a few bits of information, specifically the projection
and datum, but the parameters suggest that it might be a Transverse
Mercator projection. So try this and see if your data ends up in the
right place.

+proj=tmerc +lat_0=0 +lon_0=145 +k=0.9996 +x_0=500000 +y_0=10000000
+ellps=GRS80  +units=m

Regards,
--
Richard Greenwood