[FWTools] Failure during the loading and missing polygons - MySQL

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Mar 4 20:05:11 EST 2010

springrider wrote:
> Good morning
>
> I tried to load some polygons into MySQL 5.1.43 using Fwtools. It is a
> shapefile representing the world countries found on the Esri website. When i
> run the ogr2ogr commands, i got a :
> "ERROR 1: Terminating translation prematurely after failed
> translation of layer cntry98 (use -skipfailures to skip errors)"
> So i used the skipfailure and i found out that Russia and Canada were
> missing.
> I check the geometry for these 2 polygons and they are OK.
>
> Why can't i load these 2 polygons?

Sylvain,

My guess is because the table is getting setup with a geometry type
of polygon, but some geometries are multipolygons.  If this is the
case you would need to create the table as type "geometry" so it can
hold any geometry with the "-nlt geometry" commandline switch.

Alternatively, the problem may be that these geometries are too large
and the constructed SQL insert statement is too large.  If this is the
case you are pretty much out of luck.  You could check if there is a bug
filed on this in the GDAL/OGR Trac.  If not you could file one.  But I'm not
sure how easy it will be to fix.