[FWTools] gdal JPEG2000 driver and shp2img , MapServer

Trent M Hare thare at usgs.gov
Fri Feb 18 19:59:45 EST 2011

You can now create giant Tiffs (bigtiff) using GDAL and then convert to
jpeg2000 using the free jpeg2000 Kakadu binaries. Last year Kakadu
introduced support for bigtiffs and has for a while had the ability to
copy the geotiff header into the Jpeg2000 file (making a geoJpeg2000).

This will work for only 8 or 16bit images (not 32bit float or higher).

example for converting a GeoTiff (lossless):
> kdu_compress -i input_geo.tif -o output_geo.jp2 Creversible=yes
Clayers=16

leave off Creversible=yes to incur a lossy conversion (w/ default quality)
which should result in a smaller file size. I bet it would be hard to see
that any loss has occurred using the default but that can also be changed.

Clayers - I'm not a familiar with but it was used on the example page. I
assume it is the number of levels. So for smaller files this might be too
many?

good luck,
Trent