[FWTools] Point in polygon

Chaitanya kumar CH chaitanya.ch at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 03:39:48 EST 2012

Joe,

First note that FWtools for Windows is very old and not recommended.

It is easy to write a python script that cycles through the coordinates and
select the census block after applying a filter. We can also cycle through
the blocks and get the set of coordinates and then use the
OGRGeometry::Contains method to confirm.

The problem here is that there is no straight forward way to use spatial

There may be other options, like PostGIS, depending on your exact
requirements.

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 4:20 AM, Joe McMichael <joemcmichael at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello GIS folks!
>
> I have a large number of lat/lon coordinates(120 million) that I would
> like to know which census block they fall into. Can FWtools be used to
> crosswalk points to polygons? Maybe you know of a better method?
>
> Thanks in advance for your advice.
>
> Joe

Chaitanya kumar CH.

+91-9494447584