[Geotiff] Re: How to add a projection to GeoTIFF?

Bruce Raup braup at nsidc.org
Fri Jul 16 18:12:07 EDT 2004

Frank,

We confirmed that the projection requires a central meridian and one
standard parallel.  When there's only one, is StdParallel1 the proper name?

For documentation, the Cylindrical Equal-Area projection is discussed in
Snyder, Map Projections -- a Working Manual (1987) on pg 76ff.

The GMT (Generic Mapping Tools (http://gmt.soest.hawaii.edu/))
documentation on the projection is at
http://gmt.soest.hawaii.edu/gmt4/doc/html/GMT_Docs/node84.html

Proj.4's "proj -lP" gives:

cea : Equal Area Cylindrical
        Cyl, Sph&Ell
        lat_ts=

So, except for the possibility of there being a different parameter name
when there is only one standard parallel, I think you have the parameters
correct.

Is there more I should do, or is it in your hands now?  Do you announce new
additions to the spec on this list?

Thanks,
Bruce

--
Bruce Raup                                               Phone:  303-492-8814
National Snow and Ice Data Center, U. of Colorado, 449 UCB, Boulder, CO 80309