[Geotiff] Geotiff API's

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sat Nov 13 18:12:41 EST 2004

Daniel Denk wrote:
> Thank you for your suggestions and insights, Frank.
>
> I do have these apps, but haven't used them due to their own claims of
> limitation:
>
> Geotiff Examiner
> http://www.mentorsoftwareinc.com/freebie/FREE0699.HTM
> http://ioc.unesco.org/oceanteacher/resourcekit/M3/Toolbox/GeoTIFFExaminer.ht
>
> Geotiff4
> http://www.terrainmap.com/rm22.html
>
> I should have mentioned that I was looking for another solution that doesn't
> claim limitations, unfortunately I had a head-full when I typed away!

Daniel,

OK, now looking at it again I remember what I thought was the fundamental
limitation of the GeoTIFFExaminer.  It completely ignores the coordinate
system definition!  Apparently it was, and still is just a  way of handling
the world file conversion to/from a tiepoint and pixel size in a GeoTIFF.

It also ignores the rotation case, as you noted, and lacks support for a list
of tiepoinst.

I tried to skim the GEOTIFF4 page you reference, but kept getting distracted
by thoughts of supper and gave up before getting into any substantial detail.
What does that say about me?

Anyways, it seems targetted to specific issues of translating ASTER HDF and
GeoTIFF into something slightly more usable.  I don't know how general it is.

I would add that the OpenEV application includes support for converting
GeoTIFFs between worldfile+TIFF and GeoTIFF.  It includes the rotation
and has some limited support for editing the coordinate system.  In fact,
I believe it was a contract with Ned's organization that funded some of
those improvements.  However, OpenEV does quite a bit more than just
this, and so it isn't what I would call a "focused" GeoTIFF translator.
In particular you generate a TIFF+world file I believe you need to set an
obscure option in the export tool.  Also, it presents and to some extent
allows editing the coordinate system in OpenGIS WKT foramt, which is a
step or two removed from the form it is kept in GeoTIFF.

If you were interested you could look at:

   http://fwtools.maptools.org/

I fear that package is somewhat bulky (10MB) and includes lots of
-- yikes -- commandline tools, along with the GUI interface.

Interestingly, it would be relatively easy to prepare a GUI using
the same framework as OpenEV that is specifically focused on supporting
GeoTIFF if that were seen as important.

However, OpenEV is an excellent tool for visualizing and exploiting a wide
variety of GIS/RS data in GeoTIFF and other geospatial formats.  It's no
photoshop of course.

To that end, I don't have much advice on the photoshop, or FITS Liberator
front.  It would be nice if Photoshop could work smoothly with GeoTIFF data.
I think it would be a nice "finishing" application for raster maps.

Also, I have to admit I remain somewhat dubious about those who look forward
to GIS and Remote Sensing become ubiquitous on the desktop of normal folks.
The data is definately getting wider and wider exposure as the years progress,
but I don't personally see a internet style popularity bubble ahead even though
I have been hearing that suggestion for well over a decade.  Nevertheless, I am
still keen on making geospatial data easier to get at and use for anyone.