[Geotiff] DEM in a GeoTIFF

Norman Barker normanb at comsine.co.uk
Mon Nov 22 17:34:02 EST 2004

Mike wrote:

>We're looking to optionally encode DEM data in a GeoTIFF but have not
>found much in the way of information on this.  Encoding the data
>itself isn't a problem but encoding the tags correctly is a concern.
>We also have DEMs where the horizontal and vertical units are
>different and want to preserve that data.
>
>Can anyone point us to example GeoTIFF DEMs or any "standards" for
>encoding this type of data in a GeoTIFF?
>
>Thanks,
>--Mike

Hi,

an unofficial sample is the USGS geotiff DEMs, the description is below

USGS digital elevation model, GeoTIFF format

DEM's. This is an experimental format and is not available for sale.
GeoTIFF DEM's are implemented as 16-bit TIFF images to preserve absolute
elevation values. 16-bit data, while allowed by the TIFF 6.0 standard,
is not widely implemented in TIFF viewers, so these files may or may not
be viewable in other software.

Available for free download? No. DEM data in GeoTIFF format is not a
USGS product.

Web pages, ftp sites: none

Sample data:

    ftp://ftpmcmc.er.usgs.gov/release/viewers/sample_data/dem/geotiff

A great way to server your DEM geotiff data is through a Web Coverage
Server.  Deegree unfortunately has a problem
with 16 bit data (at the moment anyway), but MapServer WCS is very cool.

HTH,

Norman