[Geotiff] reading 32 bits geotif elevation

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sun Nov 6 19:31:51 EST 2005

On 11/6/05, Billy Jordan <billulster at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have downloded a DEM image from USGS site in geotiff format. The data type
> is in floating point(32 bits/ sample) or IEEE floating point. I could read
> this image using ERDAS but I need to read it using Matlab. Matlab gives
> error that couldnt read more than 16 bits per sample!!!!
> It is so important and I would appreciate any comments

Bill,

As you can imagine, it is hard for any of us to "fix" Matlab.
What you could do is use some other tool to convert the
data into 16bit integer format.  For instance, at the FWTools
command shell you could enter a command like:

 gdal_translate -ot Int16 in.tif out.tif

You can download FWTools for linux or win32 from:

  http://fwtools.maptools.org/