[Geotiff] Linear Units of Projections Parameters

pw p.willis at telus.net
Mon Feb 27 17:12:20 EST 2006

I did some experiments using ENVI and Geomatica.

1.) loaded a geotiff that I had previously created
in UTM meter projection. (I don't have any state plane data)

2.) Then converted the image projection to UTM feet in ENVI.
3.) created a GeoTiff using ENVI.
4.) Closed ENVI and reopened it again (clean), reopend the UTM-feet
GeoTiff. The file came up as UTM-feet. All scales are in feet.

5.) Loaded the UTM-feet GeoTiff into Geomatica. The projection
defaulted to meters with no projection defined. The pixel sizes
where the wrong size, showing values in meters equivalent to the
number of actual feet.

6.) Found that Geomatica has no capability to perform
UTM reprojection in feet.

7.) UTM meters geotiff loads into Geomatica just fine. Projection
is decoded fine.

8.) ArcExplorer wouldn't load GeoTiff as a raster at all. (Crashed)

Hope that's helpful. Let me know if you have
any specific tests you'd like tried.

Peter