[Geotiff] deskewing

Cody Benkelman benkelman at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 16 13:06:09 EST 2007

(to the list: sorry about my prior post - my response wasn't included!)

Zoltan

To answer your question about "row-rotation/column rotation", this may help.

Many people assume the 2nd & 3rd terms in the World file are "row and column
rotation terms" but that's not quite accurate.

The six terms in the world file represent an affine transformation, as
follows:

Easting = Ax + By + C
Northing = Dx + Ey + F

Where

Easting = calculated x-coordinate of the pixel on the map
Northing = calculated y-coordinate of the pixel on the map

x = X coordinate (column number) of a pixel in the image
y = Y coordinate (row number) of a pixel in the image

and the affine transformation parameters are stored in
the world file in this sequence:

Thus while most images are stored with square pixels and zero rotation,
generating world file parameters (first four terms) such as this:
1.500
0.000
0.000
-1.500

...if the same image is intended to be rotated by 90 degrees, its world file
terms would become

0.000
1.500
1.500
0.000

...so if you expect the first and fourth terms to be "x and y resolution",
this would be confusing - but when you understand the proper definition of
terms, it's a simple transformation.  In the example you provided, your
image not only has a slight rotation but the X and Y pixel resolution are
not equal.

I hope that helps - if you want more information, feel free to contact me
directly.

Cody A. Benkelman
ASPRS Certified Mapping Scientist - Remote Sensing (#RS-144)
17 Willowbrook Close
Whitefish, Montana  59937
cell (406) 270-1176