[Geotiff] USGS data - elevation and orthographic data

Chris 'Xenon' Hanson xenon at 3dnature.com
Wed Jan 24 12:11:08 EST 2007

Steve Ziuchkovski wrote:
> Hello! I'm going to be upfront an admit that I'm very unexperienced when
> it comes to this stuff.
> I am attempting to create new scenery for a flight simulator. I've
> downloaded data from seamless.usgs.gov. I obtained 10m elevation data
> for the Portland, Oregon area, and also high resolution orthographic
> data (sattelite visual light images) in geotiff format.
> The problem is this: I'm using FreeView V10 to open both the elevation
> (.adf file) and the .tif file. They both load fine, however the .tif is
> not mapped properly. The coordinates run in the 55000 range, instead of
> -122 W 45 N. I attempted extracting the metadata from the tif to a text
> file and modifying it, then reinserting back in. I do get different
> coordinates, but they are still very wrong.

   You're probably running into a coordinate system problem. How much of an issue this is
will depend on what software you actually plan on using the data in. What authoring tools
are you using? What is your final output data format that your flight simulator wants?

> How can I do this?
> Am I asking the correct group of people?

   Sort of. It's not specifically a GeoTIFF issue, but you'll find many of us on the
GeoTIFF list who deal with the sort of things you're working with. I honestly can't think
of a better place to have started looking.

   I'd be happy to discuss your process privately off-list, so as not to clutter the
GeoTIFF list with non-GeoTIFF stuff, and I could probably recommend some other discussion
lists/forums where you'll get more info.

--
      Chris 'Xenon' Hanson | Xenon @ 3D Nature | http://www.3DNature.com/
  "I set the wheels in motion, turn up all the machines, activate the programs,