[Geotiff] libgeotiff.so requiring libtiff.so.3

Dan Homerick danhomerick at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 13:36:49 EDT 2007

On my system (Ubuntu, Feisty Fawn release) the current libtiff shared
library is pointed to by libtiff.so.4 and there's no libtiff.so.3 present.
My version of libtiff is listed as 3.8.2-6.

When I try to build an application using the libgeotiff.so library, I get
the error message below during the linking phase. I don't get any errors if
I use the static version, libgeotiff.a.

I'm still somewhat new to Linux, and program development in general... is
the apparent lack of upward compatibility with the libtiff library a bug or
just the nature of shared libraries? Incidentally, creating a symbolic link
to the current libtiff:

cd /usr/lib
ln -s libtiff.so.4.2.1 libtiff.so.3

(probably I bad idea, but I thought I'd try it)
removes some, but not all error messages.

Error messsage without libtiff.so.3 present:
/usr/bin/ld: warning: libtiff.so.3, needed by /usr/local/lib/libgeotiff.so,
not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)
/usr/local/lib/libgeotiff.so: undefined reference to `_TIFFmemcpy'
/usr/local/lib/libgeotiff.so: undefined reference to `_TIFFsetShortArray'
/usr/local/lib/libgeotiff.so: undefined reference to `_TIFFMergeFieldInfo'
/usr/local/lib/libgeotiff.so: undefined reference to `TIFFSetField'
/usr/local/lib/libgeotiff.so: undefined reference to `_TIFFmemset'
/usr/local/lib/libgeotiff.so: undefined reference to `TIFFClose'
/usr/local/lib/libgeotiff.so: undefined reference to `TIFFGetField'
/usr/local/lib/libgeotiff.so: undefined reference to `TIFFSetTagExtender'
/usr/local/lib/libgeotiff.so: undefined reference to `_TIFFFieldWithTag'
/usr/local/lib/libgeotiff.so: undefined reference to `_TIFFfree'
/usr/local/lib/libgeotiff.so: undefined reference to `TIFFFdOpen'
/usr/local/lib/libgeotiff.so: undefined reference to `_TIFFmalloc'
/usr/local/lib/libgeotiff.so: undefined reference to `_TIFFsetString'
/usr/local/lib/libgeotiff.so: undefined reference to `TIFFOpen'
/usr/local/lib/libgeotiff.so: undefined reference to `_TIFFprintAsciiTag'
/usr/local/lib/libgeotiff.so: undefined reference to `_TIFFrealloc'
/usr/local/lib/libgeotiff.so: undefined reference to `_TIFFsetDoubleArray'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Error message with libtiff.so.3 pointing to libtiff.so.4.2.1:
/usr/local/lib/libgeotiff.so: undefined reference to `_TIFFMergeFieldInfo'
/usr/local/lib/libgeotiff.so: undefined reference to `_TIFFFieldWithTag'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [Test_CldTextToImageConverter] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Test_CldTextToImageConverter.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2