[Geotiff] Setting transparency in GeoTIFFs

Gordon Keith gordon.keith at csiro.au
Sun Mar 16 18:34:23 EDT 2008

Is there a simple way of setting the background to transparent with GeoTIFFs.

I've been looking for a way of setting background to transparent with
GeoTIFFs. The ImageMagick convert program can set a transparency mask for
normal TIFFs, but is not GeoTIFF aware. At the moment I am doing the
following:

        listgeo $MAPNAME.tif > $MAPNAME.geo
        convert -transparent white -depth 8 $MAPNAME.tif trans_$MAPNAME.tif
        geotifcp -c lzw -g $MAPNAME.geo trans_$MAPNAME.tif $MAPNAME.tif

which works OK, but is a little messy.

Is there are cleaner method of doing this?

Regards
Gordon

--

Gordon Keith