[Geotiff] GeoTIFF and the OGC

Carl Reed creed at opengeospatial.org
Mon Oct 26 12:59:51 EST 2009

Dear GeoTIFF list -

At the recent OGC meetings in Darmstadt, several OGC Members (large user organizations) asked whether there is any interest on the part of the OGC to move GeoTIFF into the OGC standards process and eventually make GeoTIFF an international standard. As we have done with other de-facto standards submitted into the OGC standards process, I would see very few (if any) normative changes to the document as it moves to a version 1.0 OGC standard. I know that the implementation community would not appreciate any "normative changes"! Further, as with KML, CF-NetCDF and other documents, we believe that maintaining a strong collaborative relationship with the existing GeoTIFF community is critical.

As part of this process, the OGC and OGC Members would be responsible for reformatting the document into the proper template, marshalling volunteer resources to move the document through the OGC process, and to insure proper communication and engagement with the current GeoTIFF community.

Your thoughts regarding this proposal are appreciated!

Thanks and regards

Carl Reed, PhD
CTO and Executive Director Specification Program
OGC

The OGC: Helping the World to Communicate Geographically

This communication, including attachments, is for the exclusive use of addressee and may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, disclosure, dissemination or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender  immediately by return email and delete this communication and destroy all copies.

"The important thing is not to stop questioning." -- Albert Einstein
"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." -- Helen Keller