[Geotiff] georectifying an image

Pete Flugstad pete.flugstad at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 23:45:07 EST 2010

I would like to georectify a group of images I have (bmps).  I have
the lat/lon for each corner
of the images.  I have tried to use gdal_translate to do this and it
seems to work, however
the viewing utility I'm using (OpenMap), wants tiepoints in the
resulting geotiff to load it
properly.  Are tie points the same thing as GCPs?  It looks like I can
attach those by
adding gcp's to the image, possibly using gdal_translate  Is there a
better way to do that?
Do I need to use gdal_warp when I'm done?

One problem I'm seeing is that the -gcp flag to gdal_translate wants
northing/easting values,
but I have the corner lat/long's.  Is there a way to translate
lat/long to n/e values?

Thanks,
Pete