[Geotiff] How to generate Map Tiles from BSB/KAP files Using GDAL2Tiles

Chathura Gunawardana chathuragune at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 17:36:34 EST 2013

Hi, All,

As an example I have a BSB file from NOAA which is a navigational map. The
map has a SRS of WGS84 and a Mercator projection.

I initially translate the file from BSB format to GTiff format using the
following command:

 gdal_translate -of GTiff 18554_1.kap noaa.tif

I can view this GTiff file using Paint Shop Pro quite fine. I then
translate the file from GTiff format to VRT format using the following
command:

 gdal_translate -of vrt –expand rgba noaa.tif noaa.vrt

I then try to generate a tile matrix set using the following command:

 gdal2tiles.py noaa.vrt tiles_folder

Where the map tiles are located in tiles_folder. If I try to open the
openmaps.html or google.html, the map zoom in and out looks good. However,
on tiles generator like MBTiles, I see tiles swap.   I am pulling my hair
off to get the tiles to line up. I am guessing it is projection error. I am
not understanding those projection types. It would great someone can
explain it while finding the error. By the way, on GDAL how do I specify
the BSB (reference) file that is associated with KAP (data) file? I have
seen cases where only one BSB file referred by multiple KAP files.