[Geotiff] cmake based build: why shared _and_ static?

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Mon Dec 11 10:23:34 EST 2017

> On Dec 9, 2017, at 7:51 AM, Mario Emmenlauer <mario at emmenlauer.de> wrote:
>

> Dear geotiff developers,
>
> thanks for the very nice software. A small question: why is the default
> for cmake to build the shared and static version of the library? I would
> prefer if only one would be built. I can use cmake's BUILD_SHARED_LIBS
> option to pick. This is mostly the default for other software.
>
> For me, this would also help to address the problem that MSVC Windows
> names the import library identical to the static library by default.
> libgeotiff solves this by changing the import library name, but this
> opens a can of worms for me downstream.
>
> Its not a huge problem because I can fix the issue myself and maintain
> a small patch. But maybe it would be more "standard" if libgeotiff
> just used cmake's BUILD_SHARED_LIBS?

Thanks for the patch Mario. I agree the CMake configuration should build with CMake's current shared library norms, and I have applied it to the repository at https://trac.osgeo.org/geotiff/changeset/2801

If you have more configuration additions, register for an OSGeo ID and continue to add tickets to the GeoTIFF repository with patches. Emailed patches are likely to get lost.

Howard