[ka-Map-dev] Overlay Objects

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Feb 8 09:13:48 EST 2006

Lorenzo,

this is a great start.  I can see the benefits of this approach ...
I'll outline quickly some alternatives:

1. tiled overlay layer (proposed by Lorenzo).  See below.

2. non-tiled overlay layer (Stephen Woodbridge proposed this, and it
is used in MapGuide Open Source).  In this mode, an overlay image is
rendered just big enough to fill the viewport.  If the user pans, the
image is repositioned and regenerated when the pan stops.

3. client side overlays using existing canvas functions (Pg and
myself are in this camp).  There are alternatives to this approach

3.1 use client side library to render features - SVG, <canvas>, VML,
wz_jsgraphics are all alternatives

3.2 use images generated by server side

Have I missed any reasonable alternatives?

I think ka-Map should support both 1 and 3.  I personally don't like
2 for reasons I probably can't explain well, but if someone is
willing to contribute it, it would be ok.

My interest is currently in 3.1 using <canvas> and VML with a fall-
back on unsupported browsers to 3.2 so I will be investing my time
there.

Lorenzo and Andrea seem to be favouring option 1 and that would be
great.

What we need is a common architecture to render overlay features that
can use either back end depending on the application designer's choice.

I think that we should not re-invent the wheel on xml formats.  With
that in mind, I think we should consider the following formats:

1. KML
2. GeoRSS
3. GML

For Google compatibility, KML would be very nice to support.  It is
also the richest in terms of expressing presentation of the data.
And there is potentially lots of data being served up via KML

GeoRSS is essentially a simple subset of GML making it somewhat
lighter.  Its good for the spatial part of features but doesn't
capture the styling.

GML ... well, that's my third choice but it could probably be
supported quite easily once we have an architecture in place.

To support any of these, we need an API and some objects to represent
the things we need.  Pg's documentation of kaXmlOverlay seems to be a
pretty reasonable start at this.  I haven't investigated his code,
but it could be the best place to start.

For supporting option 1, I think the best approach is to create an
new _layer object in javascript that loads tiles from a different
script than tile.php.  wmsLayer is an example of sub-classing _layer
and bypassing the tile cache.  I would propose the following as a
possible approach:

1. client loads xml document containing overlays OR adds primitives
directly

2 (a). new tiledOverlayLayer is created.  This calls an
initOverlay.php function through XmlHttpRequest that creates a
sessionid on the server side and returns it to the client.  The
sessionid is stored in the tiledOverlayLayer object and is used in
all subsequent requests (including tile requests).

2 (b). existing tiledOverlayLayer is used.

3. changes to the style of the overlay are sent to
setOverlayStyle.php through XmlHttpRequest with the sessionid and
stored on the server side for rendering

4. features are sent to setOverlayFeatures.php using XmlHttpRequest
(in POST mode to avoid url length problems) along with the
sessionid.  This script could also be used to remove overlay features
or change them.  Each feature should have a unique feature id of some
sort.

5. tile source for tiles in the layer is set to overlayTile.php which
gets the session id in addition to the regular tile.php paramaters.
overlayTile.php returns an image of the overlay from the session
cache of the overlay features rendered using the overlay style.

The disadvantage to this approach is the need for some sort of server-
side session.  Realistically, if you want to take advantage of
mapscript to render stuff (for projection support) then you will need
some sort of server-side session I think.   It may be possible to
send everything to the server from the client on each request, but
this could get very large very quickly.

I have not started thinking about an architecture for option 3
really, but it would not be much different from the existing approach
except for providing alternate rendering on the client side depending
on the browser support.

For supporting client side interaction with option 1 where the
features do not have a life of their own, imagemap support is one
approach that could work well.  I think we could generate imagemaps
on the fly for each overlay tile as it is created by using
XmlHttpRequest to getOverlayImagemap.php or something like that.

An alternate approach (used by MapGuide Open Source) is to track
mouse movement and when the mouse hovers over a tile, make an
XmlHttpRequest to retrieve information about the current location ...
I'm not sure how well this would work, but it does work reasonably
well in MapGuide Open Source.

okay, I think I should stop typing now :)  Looking forward to
continuing the discussions ...

Cheers

Paul