[ka-Map-dev] modification to tile cache structure

Morgan Pyne morgan.pyne at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 22:19:10 EDT 2006

Hi Paul (and others!)

I would definitely welcome the change, as we have already reached the
limits of an ext3 filesystem (~32768 subdirs) on a number of
occasions. While we could solve this by moving to some other
filesystem, I think that adding the extra depth is a good thing
anyway -  ext3 is a common default filesystem for many Linux distros.

I was wondering however if it might be possible to migrate a cache to
the new structure rather than completely invalidate it?  I'm sure I'm
not the only one who would prefer to be able to keep my cache if
possible - precaching again would take considerable time. If the
change only involves adding a slash between the top and left values
in the path then I'm guessing the cache migration could be a one-
liner for a good Perl monger.

Another thing to consider might be to make this new cache structure
optional, and default to the old one.

Thanks (for _all_ the good work on ka-map!),
Morgan