[ka-Map-dev] Sub-groups or sub-layers in kaLegend

Samuel Hiatt samhiatt at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 17:43:36 EDT 2007

Hi all.

I am working on implementing some modifications of kaLegend.js that allow
layers to be grouped in a hierarchy.  I am aware that a few others have
requested this functionality, so I'd like to be sure that my implementation
can be useful to all.

In order to implement this functionality I had to invent a new metadata tag
for the layer.  Currently I use the tag "parents" and then list the parents
of a sub-layer.  For example, for layer "streets" the metadata could look
like...
"parents"    "Infrastructure::Transportation"
saying that "streets" is a child of transportation, which is a child of
Infrastructure.

I am open to changing this notation to whatever we agree is the most
intuitive / simple way to specify the sub-layer's placement in the
hierarchy.

Thanks.

Sam