[ka-Map-dev] future of ka-Map

Lorenzo Becchi lorenzo at ominiverdi.com
Wed May 7 19:59:53 EDT 2008

Paul, you're comments arrive just in time.
I've planned to spend my participation at the OSGeo Hacking Event [1]
over ka-Map code and OL integration.

Paul Spencer wrote:

> * a php-based configuration file similar to the existing config.php for
> specifying various options and identifying maps and tile caches

if I'll be alone at the the Hacking Event I will not touch config.php

> * a php-based tile engine similar to the existing tile.php for
> dynamically serving tiles from a cache and rendering them as necessary

what changes would you like to do to tile.php?

> * a php-based tool that returns javascript or json to the client with an
> appropriately configured layer(s) (all the settings for the layer are
> taken from the configuration of the cache and other settings)

I was thinking to use OWS Context with an extension for the ka-Map
layer. Another idea is the OLON object but has never come to be included
in OL trunk. Both XML and JSON output can be easily offered.

> * a client-side way of using the javascript or json from the server-side
> - could be as simple as including a script tag after OpenLayers.js or an
> entirely new Control or add-in for OpenLayers.

I still don't know what's the direction I want to take but I've thought
to both solution.
The Control could help at least to manage the multiple-maps
configuration. Then the Legend should be adapted in a separate Control
to let the people choose which layerSwitcher to use. I've already wrote
a new legend control for OL and it should not take too much time to
clean it and adapt it to ka-map.
I was even thinking to offer the integration in ka-Explorer, depending
on the time I'll have available.
If we'll refine the architectural part together before the Hacking Event
I'll have more time to code.

> This would focus efforts on improving tile.php rendering, tile
> management tools such as precache.php, and cleaning up that code while
> leaving the javascript stuff to OpenLayers.

I do agree.

ciao
Lorenzo

[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Hacking_event