[ka-Map-users] Query how to

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Dec 5 17:48:07 EST 2005

The query capability just gives you the geographic coordinates that
the user wants to query.  You will need to:

1) make an XmlHttpRequest call to the server to request a query of
your data.  the call() function in xhr.js can do this for you.

2) write a PHP (or some other) script that actually takes the
geographic coordinates and queries your data.  Depending on your
data, you could approach querying in a number of ways.  MapScript is
probably the most generic way, but if you have a postgis dataset it
probably makes more sense to query it directly

3) return results to the client page that can be interpreted by
javascript.  I have typically done this by returning javascript that
gets eval'd by the client.  You could also return an XML document and
navigate it using the DOM.