[ka-Map-users] Hello from the Mapbuilder project

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Wed May 18 20:49:38 EDT 2005

Hey Cameron,

Mike Adair gave me a run-through of MapBuilder a while ago but I never
really followed up on it (meant to, but, you know how it is ;))

Design goals ... um ... what are those? :>  This was initially built as
an experiment in javascript, dhtml and AJAX and grew into something we
felt pretty decent about from a performance/usability point of view.
The original design goal, then, was to produce something that took
maximum advantage of the natural advantage that the DOM and properly
structured HTML/CSS can provide for performance.  The source released
today is pretty much that initial effort and I think it reflects the
lack of any real forethought.  The whole thing is more or less a toy
application since it doesn't do anything useful.

The newer version that will be available in cvs in the next day or two
has the same code encapsulated as a javascript object library with the
intention to expose an API to HTML/JavaScript developers that want to
embed this technology.  I am attempting to abstract the core rendering
engine (tiling) from the tools that do stuff like navigation by using a
custom event mechanism that links the tools together.  And I hope to
incorporate other mechanisms like querying and location-based services too.

Also, I would like to position ka-Map to be embeddable in other
technologies like Chameleon, GeoServer etc if that makes sense.

I'm not entirely sure how well this technology would work for MapBuilder
since it relies on some sort of tile caching for performance.  OGC
protocols are not particularly known for performance, and adding an
additional requirement for requesting separate tiles would be a killer
in my mind.  I think it is more likely that ka-Map will benefit from the
things you guys have been doing.

I hope that other developers (like you :)) will take a look and perhaps
find something useful or contribute changes back.

I am also hoping that the community will provide feedback and push this
in the direction that it really needs to go.  Without firm plans for its
future, it may die ... but I think there is enough interest in this type
of technology that it will find a place in the open source community.

And it has a cool logo!