[ka-Map-users] Re: ka-Map: new open source project

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Thu May 19 07:10:17 EDT 2005

Hi,

there are compelling reasons to develop functionality like this in Java
because the language offers more features and flexibility.  However, we
have found over the years that many of our clients do not want any
software that requires any sort of plugin and Java has left a nasty
taste for many people because of security and performance reasons.

Alternately, JavaScript is a lot easier to get into and requires no
compiling etc.  Development is much more rapid and there are excellent
free tools (i.e. firefox) for debugging, testing etc) to assist
developers.  There also seem to be a lot more people developing in
JavaScript.

Also, this started as a technical experiment ... and in many ways it
still is ... so from this point of view, I don't think it needs any
justification :)