[ka-Map-users] Perl back end and other features

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Fri May 27 20:38:02 EDT 2005

Hi all,

I have been writing a perl backend for ka-map and have it pretty
function at this point. I have integrated have also add a few
enhancements like:

1) the ability to define a [long, lat, scale] to the mapfile structure
after the image type in the array and made init.cgi position the map to
that location and scale when the map is initialized.

2) I added a geocoder interface that allows you to enter a location on
the map page then passes the request to init.cgi which parses the
address string into fields gets it geocoded using a remote service and
causes the map to be positioned to that location.

I am doing these for a presentation to the User's conference and the
source will be made available after the conference by Where2getit.com.

I have a few questions:

1. When I position the map after geocoding a location I set the location
to cX, cY instead of computing these values as the center of the
extents, but this is not centered on the viewport. I think this is
because of the clamp to a tile is causing it to be shifted. How can I
get it to center? Can I send some additional javascript values to cause
it to scroll/slide after it is loaded so it is centered?

2. The Next thing I would like to support is a route overlay like
google. Have you thought about doing this? I can get the route polyline
loaded into a javascript array, how do I get the array displayed as a
polyline on a layer? How do I scale the coordinates for the route to the
current zoom scale? I'm not asking for code (but I would take it :),
more for the your thoughts on how to best approach this?

3. OK, while I'm asking has anyone, done anything with putting markers
on a layer? with mouseovers on the markers? etc.

This is very nice work Paul! I had started to do this myself when you
announced it, so I'm happy to work on it an make some contribution
instead. I will get a URL posted shortly.

-Steve W.
  http://imaptools.com
  http://where2getit.com