[ka-Map-users] Panning and zooming question

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Mon May 30 09:17:00 EDT 2005

Hi,

panning without reloading the page is done by drawing the map as a
series of small (200x200 pixel) tiles that are loaded separately.  When
the user clicks and drags, the images are moved inside the page.  When
one set of images are off the visible part of the map, they are moved to
the other side and a new set of tiles are loaded.  The 'tiles' are
rendered using MapServer and so whatever you can get MapServer to draw,
you can display ... tileindexed raster data should work just fine.
Overviews just make it more efficient for MapServer to render at
different scales

The 'box zooming' is not something I am planning to add, but I will take
contributions.

Paul