[ka-Map-users] cvs structural changes

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Fri Sep 9 11:32:24 EDT 2005

IMPORTANT: if you are a CVS user, you will need to update config.php ...
read on ...

All,

I've been meaning to make some changes to the directory structure of
ka-Map for a while.  We've been living with some early choices that, in
hindsight, make no sense now.  Given that I would like to do another
release shortly, I thought now would be a good time to make the changes.

The purpose of the changes is to:

* make initial installation and set up easier
* additional security
* provide more flexibility in use

The new directory structure is:

ka-map/docs
ka-map/htdocs
ka-map/htdocs/images
ka-map/include

To this end, the following changes have been made:

* config.php (and config.dist.php) have been moved from the htdocs
directory into a new 'include' directory.  This was done primarily from
a security/best php practices point of view.  The include directory
should not be web-accessible in a production deployment of ka-Map.

* all javascript files have been moved from the scripts directory into
the htdocs directory.  This allows more flexibility in use (you can load
the js files directly rather than going through getcjs.php) and easier
installation/setup (getcjs.php now uses the kacache folder for
compressed versions) and better security (no more write permissions on
the scripts folder)

I've committed changes to all the affected files to update the paths
etc.  You MUST UPDATE config.php, there was one minor but important
change in there that will affect all your php files.  I have changed the
meaning of $szBaseCacheDir ... previously it was modified by the
config.php script to add the selected map directory, now it is preserved
as the real base cache dir and the per-map cache dir is called
$szMapCacheDir.

When you do a cvs update, you will get lots of warnings about lost files
  and possibly errors (esp on config.php).  You may be better off to
checkout a clean copy and then copy your config.php settings (probably
just the $aszMapFiles array) to the new config.dist.php (and rename it
config.php).

You'll also need to clear your browser cache I think.

If you run into any problems, let me know immediately.