[ka-Map-users] evaluating ka-Map

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Fri Sep 9 14:38:42 EDT 2005

I'll cover both of these in one response :)

There is no cost (or at least almost none) for toggling layers on the
client side once a layer has been loaded.

The reason why I made the comment was because ka-Map's performance
relies heavily on caching the tiles on the server.  Dynamic data (such
as the type you are refering to) will require the cache to be deleted
(or avoided altogether) on a regular basis, thereby negating most of
ka-Map's benefit.  Additionally, the default configuration of ka-Map
uses http headers to cache the tile images in the client's browser so
that subsequent visits to the same spatial region/scale will grab the
tiles out of the local cache rather than causing a hit on the server.

In the dynamic case, you would need to use much shorter cache expiries
or use no caching on the client side to ensure that the most recent
version is loaded.

Also in the dynamic case, assuming that a tile has been loaded and then
the cache is cleared, scrolling would load the next tile from the newest
data while the existing tile would have old data, which could
potentially look really really bad.

In the case of WMS, Charlton is actually wrong (sorry).  ka-Map tiles
are actually rendered by producing larger images and then slicing them
up.  When a tile includes a WMS layer, it is rendered as part of a full
map draw at the larger size and then sliced as part of the tile generation.

Hope this makes sense

Cheer

Paul