[ka-Map-users] Same API, but map images instead of tiles

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Mon Sep 19 13:53:26 EDT 2005

Brent Pedersen wrote:
> hi, re your perl port:
>   the extra options in the setup in tmap-config.pm
> <http://tmap-config.pm> to allow initial zoom extent and center are a
> great idea.
>
> other than that, was there any benefit? why not just use the php stuff?
> i do prefer perl, but i had been sticking with php for mapserver because
> better support and docs.

Use whatever. We are primarily a perl shop and it was an exercise to see
if it would work and what issues it might present. In general the code
is pretty simple for the most part. Also, if I ask on of the developers
to add a feature it would be easier for a Perl programmer to make
changes to Perl code rather than PHP.

> re no tiles:
> wouldn't that have a similar effect as increasing the tile size in
> config.php? because when i do that, there is a drastic decrease in
> performance. will your implementation avoid that?

A lot of people seem to be missing the point on this. ka-map loads lots
of tiles that are off screen so when you pan initially, it already has
all the tiles it needs and it looks seamless. But you pay a bandwidth
and cpu cost for computing and loading the extra tiles if the user never
pans or only pans in one direction because you have loaded tiles in all
the other directions also. My proposal was to only compute and load the
visible portion of the map and on pan you would slide it partially off
the view and request a new image of just the new visible map and replace
the partially obscured image. You would not generate metatiles, you
would not chop the tiles, etc, only request what you need when you need
it, if you need it.

Why? One API for both image generation models, common API for
applications development, etc. I think ka-map is a good API that allows
for a rich development environment.

-Steve W.