[ka-Map-users] Technical alternatives for SVG on IE

Wei Yang, Ng - Wayne wayne at datalinktech.com.au
Sun Apr 30 19:44:11 EDT 2006

Hi everyone,
> Paul Spencer writes:
>  > > Robert Thau wrote:
>  > >
>  > > I tried playing with <canvas> in Firefox.  Works fine if you're just
>  > > drawing an essentially static overlay.  The only way I could think of
>  > > to get mouse sensitivity, though, was to overlay a transparent image
>  > > with an <imagemap>, and add <area> tags for the mouse sensitive areas.
>  > > It works, but for large numbers of overlays it can be slow.  On the
>  > > other hand, I'm not sure what else you *can* do to display
>  > > mouse-sensitive polygonal areas in Safari...

Yes, this is what I noticed when putting a kaXmlLabel over the SVG
image. They are click able. This
idea did cross my mind as a solution.
>  > >
>  > If you are rendering the svg overlay on the server side anyway then a
>  > round-trip to the server via ajax would get you a tooltip quite
>  > quickly and with minimal browser impact.  Just a thought.
>
> Ummm... not sure I understand.  AJAX requires *some* javascript to
> run, in response to a mouse event, to kick off the XMLHttpRequest.
> The reason for the imagemap hackery I described was to make that
> happen if you were rendering graphics on a <canvas>.  If you're
> using SVG, there's no point at all --- you can put mouse handlers
> on the SVG objects directly.
>
> rst
The mouse handler solution is something that I will look into as it
sounds a lot more elegant. Thanks for bringing
this idea to light.

Thanks all for your ideas and opinions on this issue.

Cheers,
Wayne